The University of Saskatchewan Students' Union (USSU) is a non-profit corporation and is the representative body for all University of Saskatchewan undergraduate, extension and certificate students. The USSU is an elected four-member student Executive and University Students' Council. The USSU is a highly engaged and diverse organization that is guided by the values contained in its Mission and Visions statements:
The University of Saskatchewan Students' Union strives to be the recognized leader in enhancing the student experience.
The University of Saskatchewan Students' Union exists to represent, serve and support the academic and non-academic needs of undergraduate students of the University of Saskatchewan through accountable, dynamic and unified leadership. It also serves to protect and maintain the integrity of quality, accessible public education.
The USSU was officially established on October 6, 1909, in the words of its original mandate "to act as a unifying force in University life and as the supreme representative body of the students." Since that time, the USSU has grown from an organization representing 70 students, to one representing more then 18,000 undergraduate and 2,000 graduate students at the University of Saskatchewan. Some of the historical highlights of the USSU include:
- Establishment of The Sheaf, the U of S student newspaper, in 1912.
- Election of its first female Student Union President in 1921.
- Establishment of a student health care insurance plan in 1925.
- Leading the construction of Rutherford Rink, the first such facility at the U of S.
- Main funder (from student levies) for Griffths' Stadium (now PotashCorp Stadium) in 1936.
- Major funder (from student fees) for the construction of the Memorial Union Building, a facility for providing greater student services in 1951.
- The first student organization in North America to run its own public transportation system in 1965.
- Starting the U of S' first (and only) campus radio station in 1965.
- Constructing a dedicated Student Centre (Place Riel Student Centre) in 1981.
Operations and Services
The USSU operates a variety of businesses and services aimed towards enhancing the student experience at the U of S. These operations and services include Louis', Browsers Café, XL Print & Design, Copy Central, the Information Centre, student support centres and space rental services.
As a professional courtesy to associated student organizations, student groups, analysts, and press agencies publishing articles about the USSU, a digital copy of the USSU logo can be obtained from the USSU Communications and Services Manager.
Anyone wanting more information relating directly to the USSU are advised to contact the USSU Communication & Services Manager's office by:
Phone (306) 966.6973,
Facsimile (306) 966.6978, or by